A motor vehicle accident can occur at any given moment and under a variety of circumstances. While you may seek to reduce the chances of a similar incident by strictly adhering to Tennessee state traffic laws, if you encounter a negligent driver, you may have little control over what happens next.
Regardless of the severity of the collision, the aftermath thereof can be a stressful and intimidating period. However, you may be able to alleviate a great deal of your post-collision stress by knowing the necessary steps to take following such an incident.
Steps to take after a motor vehicle accident
Following the crash, you may be feeling somewhat shaken up and uncertain what to do next. How you handle the aftermath of a collision could prove vital in a variety of ways, and some steps to take during this period may include the following:
- Stay at the scene: Following an accident, remaining at the scene is advisable, as failing to do so could result in criminal charges. However, if your vehicle remains operable, you may consider moving it away from traffic provided it is safe to do so.
- Notify police: It is also advisable to notify police and emergency responders as necessary. You should also obtain a copy of the official police report of the incident, which could prove invaluable down the road.
- Exchange necessary information: Exchanging insurance and contact information with each party involved is another key step. However, you might want to keep post-accident communication to a minimum and avoid providing excuses or apologies, as these could ultimately prove detrimental.
- Document the incident: If you are able, taking pictures of the scene and jotting down a detailed description of what took place may also be in your best interests.
- Seek medical care: As soon as possible, you should seek medical attention for your injuries and keep a detailed record of all your treatment.
If you suffer serious injuries in the collision, you may wish to pursue compensation accordingly. However, even if the other party is at fault, the process can be exceedingly complex, and it might be in your best interests to seek guidance early on in the process.
Seeking advice and assistance
A dangerous collision can leave you facing a substantial amount of medical expenses and a lengthy road to recovery. With numerous crucial aspects to consider during a potentially stressful and daunting process, you could be in search of some much-needed guidance. By obtaining advice and assistance from someone with experience in such matters, you may find yourself in a much better position to pursue the full amount of compensation you’re entitled to through a personal injury claim.